Friday, April 28, 2017

Fuel Friday - Earth Week with Activist Alliance

Fuel Friday: Let’s talk petroleum – easily the most commonly used fossil fuel currently on the market (though not the only). About 76% of petroleum is in some form of fuel: gasoline, jet fuel, diesel fuel, heating oil and others. That leaves about 24% that becomes other things: plastic, asphalt, tar, paraffin wax, and others – even elemental sulfur can be produced during the refining process.
That means oil is everywhere and in everything we do. It’s estimated that, barring new technology, we have enough fossil fuels to support current consumption through 2040. 2040 – that’s 23 years from now.

We have to find more sustainable energy sources. And we have to do it for several reasons.

1) We will run out. And that deadline is coming very soon.

2) What we’re doing is already wreaking environmental havoc in the form of pollution with long term real repercussions in terms of the our health and the planet’s health. (Fun fact: air pollution from the burning and refining of fossil fuels kills 200,000 American a year.)

3) Sustainable energy isn't just better for the environment, it's also better for pocket books and the economy. Currently, there are twice as many jobs in the solar energy field than in coal. And coal is not as economically viable as solar - it costs more money to make less energy. Also, places like Georgetown and Fort Hood have become green cities/bases solely because it is cheaper to be so. Going green can save you money!

4) The United States is losing the sustainability race. Currently, China is the world leader in clean energy, and is poised to be the leader in climate plans as well. (Currently, China holds 3.5 million of the 8.5 million jobs in clean energy worldwide (that's about 41%), The United States holds 769,000 (that's 9%)) 

Don’t worry though, you can help:

1) As has been mentioned throughout the week – limit plastic intake and use. And recycle what you do use. Plastic is pretty toxic to the environment and every little bit that doesn’t go into our oceans helps here.

2) Find ways to limit fuel consumption – can you commit to riding public transit for at least a day a week? No public transit where you live? Can you commit to car-pooling and having one less car on the road? (And bonus! Public transit and/or car-pooling is cheaper than driving!)

3) Write to your congressman. Lobby for sustainable plans and alternative energy. Ask them what they are doing to help move the country away from fossil fuels.

4) Spend your money in places that have a low carbon footprint and are actively looking for ways to step away from fossil fuels. (Here’s a list:… ) 

5) Find a carbon calculator online and find out what your carbon footprint is the largest - is it travel, food, commuting. Make a commitment to shrink that footprint by even 1%. (Here's one: )

6) Talk about it. Did you know that around 75% of people talk about climate change less than 3 times a year? Make a commitment to make that 6 times a year, or even once a month, for yourself and increase those numbers. 

Happy Earth Week with Activists Alliance! Post by Activists Alliance member Reesa Graham.

No comments:

Post a Comment